Wednesday 13 March 2013

Update, a little longer than the last!

Evening everyone,
The last time I updated my blog - I had just come out of a rather nasty place in my head. A place I hope I won't see again, but the twists and turns are of course, still unpredictable. I am however feeling much more at ease with the world & gradually getting back into my treatment plan. My visits to the clinic have taken back there weekly spot on the calendar - rather than various 'professionals' making daily appearances at my house. I feel much more comfortable now! Even though I cannot fault their services and kindness...
So, the Quetiapine is gone & since it's hasty banishment from the house...not one extreme leg ache or overly bloated, 9 months pregnant feel have I encountered. However, I have now started on Depakote (divalproex sodium) . And even though my intentions on positivity are high & I am determine not to overwhelm myself with the fear of side effects & future risks....of course I have thought about it. I know everything nowadays comes with that exhausting long 'warning' list... & if we read every small slight detail, we would live in fear of being effected by the most insignificant thing. But, it's fair to say the list is pretty long & Depakote has done some unpleasant things to the majority of people taking it. I wonder if this will be the drug for me? I wonder if this will be the one I'll be taking from now until....forever? I'm already experiencing the sedation - but on I'll go trying my best to battle through it. I'll keep my loyal readers updated on the happenings of my body...
Like I've read through many organisation sites "I'd rather go through the side effects and potential risks, than put myself through another episode" - wise words.

So I have recently finished reading 'A Silver Linings Playbook' - and then decided to watch the film after! The book pulled at my heart strings, the film (as good as it was) failed to do the same. It follows 'Pat Peoples' fight with mental illness, regaining health & finding his 'silver lining' in every way possible. I found it emotionally inspiring & fulfilled me with hope. I would like to share a few quotes from the book with you all....

"Well you have adventures. All start out with troubles, but then you admit your problems and become a better person by working really hard, which is what fertilizes the happy ending and allows it to bloom...."

"I still have a woman in my arms who has suffered greatly and desperately needs to believe once again she is beautiful. In my arms is a woman who knows all my secrets, a woman who knows just how messed up my mind is, how many pills I'm on, and yet she allows me to hold her anyway..."

"But I also know that in the movies, just when the main character is about to give up, something surprising happens, which leads to the happy ending. I'm pretty sure that this is the part of my movie when something surprising will happen...If I have faith, if I go to that special place, something  beautiful will happen..... 'Don't forget your pills' Mum says..."

"I actually want to thankyou for disrupting my life, because I would never have taken the time to improve my character if I did not get sent to the bad place....I know this journey has been for a reason..."

On the days where I'm able to focus and my ever-changing concentration levels are 'normal' ....I will start reading "Detour, My Bipolar Road Trip in 4-D" by Lizzie Simon

By all appearances, Lizzie Simon was perfect. She had an Ivy League education, lots of friends, a loving family and a dazzling career as a theatre producer by the age of 23. But that wasn't enough; Lizzie still felt alone in the world, and largely misunderstood. Having been diagnosed with bipolar disorder as a teenager, she longed to meet others like herself; she wanted to hear the experiences of those who managed to move past their manic-depression and lead normal lives. So Lizzie hits the road, hoping to find "a herd of her own". Along the way she finds romance and madness, survivors and sufferers,and somewhere between the lanes,herself. Part road trip, part love story, Detour is a fast-paced memoir that demystifies mental illness while it embraces the universally human struggle to become whole.


Moving on...
I am now feeling the urge to get physically fit & healthy...Obviously the mental side is being treated too - but I'd rather be a self confessed 'nutter' with toned abs, a sexy butt & fruity insides....




I've been trying to take all the tips from my self-help wall...and even though I often fight my wars with tiredness, motivation and routine.... Excerise and diet are beginning to take shape! Smoothies are something sent from heaven & endless nuts/seeds & dried fruit are serving me well. It's becoming more obvious that I should probably go back to my 'gluten free' days....but my mum's homemade bread is too delicious to turn down at times. Caffeine had been reduced but I'm still not 100% convinced by fruit teas.... who invented that? I want to shoot them.
I'm exercising daily (except for today, because I felt like a sack of shit and barely strung a sentence together, let along worked my body to the sound of Victoria Secret's gym instructors) .... there's always tomorrow!

I have recently become massively hooked to 'Pinterest'....
Feel free to head on over to my page...
I would like to share with you some of the bits & bobs I have 'pinned' to my boards... 
It's most delightfully therapeutic, but unconditionally addictive.  

I have lots more on there including 'music', 'heroes', 'photography', 'creativity'& 'dreamhouse' - but here's just a taster....

Quotes









Wardrobe






Smile





Likes






I advise anyone...mental illness or not, to go ahead, set up an account & 'pin' away... :)

I'll wrap it up now, but I'll leave with some good news. After finally feeling happy with my current support team & meetings (minus the ongoing fear of my psychiatrist who reminds me of a defence against the dark arts teacher in Hogwarts)...I am going to be put on a 20 week scheme to help me cope with my emotions & behaviours. I will gain skills to help me manage my feelings & triggers. I am actually really looking forward to it...

" You will learn a new 'language' to use in thinking about your disorder and for communicating about your disorder with others in your 'system'..."

"You will work on changing some of the ways you think about yourself, the world, and other people. You will work on specific lifestyle behaviours such as eating, sleep patterns, exercise, leisure activities, physical health and relationships."

"Besides the written materials that you receive, the lessons also use songs, poetry, art activities and relaxation exercises. If you have a special talent for writing poems or creating artwork, you may enjoy sharing this"

The course doesn't start until September, so in the mean time I will be attending everything else I have to attend :) 

Thankyou again & as always, to all the wonderful people who have been there - especially these past few weeks. I am forever in your debt...
I can't help but smile knowing that at the end of April I shall be reunited with my best friend & get to spend a few months with him before duty calls and he leaves again. Those months I shall treasure - for he has seen my beauty when darkness has beckoned my soul.

I would also like to send my prayers, love & thoughts to a very dear friend & her family...Livie. For even through her own struggles, has remained a loyal friend to me. And now, at your lowest low - know I am here for you. I can't imagine how you are feeling, but I know somewhere within you is the strength to see a future. 


I wish you all beautiful days & restful nights 

x




2 comments:

  1. Great post, Crisi. Glad that you are on such a healthy path!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just read your blog after seeing it on denise welch's twitter. Reading this could not have come at a better time for me. I am about to begin a journey to get assesed for bipolar. I both terrified and relieved, apprehensive and hopeful. Everything u write is what I too have endured unrecognised for years. Such a comfort to know its not just me. Xxx

    ReplyDelete